Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Today is National Candied Orange Peel Day
Sweet Candied Orange and Lemon Peel
By: Brenda Ward
"With this easy-to-follow recipe, orange and lemon peel become an elegant -- yet still a bit tart -- sugared confection."
4 Hrs 40 Min
US Metric Calculate
Original Recipe Yield 3 cups
* 6 lemon peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
* 4 orange peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 cup water
* 1/3 cup white sugar for decoration
1. Place lemon and orange peel in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reaches thread stage, 230 degrees F (108 degrees C) on candy thermometer, or small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread. Stir in peel, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain.
3. Roll peel pieces, a few at a time, in remaining sugar. Let dry on wire rack several hours. Store in airtight container.