Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Monday, August 15, 2011
Today is National Relaxation Day.... For those us with a hectic lifestyle, Relaxation Day is a day to look forward to. On this day, take some time to sit back and relax. There are many ways you can do this—read a book, get a massage, watch a movie, or take a nap. To help heighten your relaxation today enjoy a Stinky Gringo with whatever you choose to do today to relax!!
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Today is National Rice Pudding Day. (I bet you didn’t know that.) In honor of the occasion, I made creamy rice pudding. This recipe, which calls for baking the rice in the oven, saves a lot of stovetop stirring time and still yields a delicious, creamy dessert.
Rice Pudding Recipe
Special Equipment: 4 (6- to 8-oz) ramekins (available at Dean & DeLuca SoHo)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle.
2. Add 1/2 cup milk, 4 teaspoons rice, 2 teaspoons sugar, and a pinch of salt to each ramekin. Finely grate a little nutmeg over each ramekin and stir.
3. Put ramekins on a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet and bake until most of the milk is absorbed and tops are golden-brown, about 1 hour. (A skin will form on top of each ramekin.)
4. Remove puddings from oven and put the ramekins on a cooling rack. Carefully discard the milky skin on top of each ramekin and let puddings cool for about 1 hour.
5. Once puddings are cool, stir 1 tablespoon heavy cream into each. Puddings can be eaten at room temperature or chilled. If you prefer your pudding chilled, refrigerate ramekins, covered for 30 minutes. Garnish with cinnamon powder. Enjoy!
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
National Ice Cream Sandwich Day is a time to enjoy a cold sandwich.......an ice cream sandwich.
In July and August, we find many special days for one kind of ice cream or another. The ice cream sandwich is so popular, and tastes so good, that it earns its own special day....today.
Ice cream sandwiches have been around since the early 1900s. Vanilla, chocolate and a combination of the two, are the most popular. You can make homemade sandwiches. Just put some ice cream between a couple wafers, and.. ...Voila! Don't have wafers? That's okay. Put some ice cream between two of your favorite cookies.
We hope that you have a great National Ice Cream Sandwich Day.